ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does Ivy really have a cache resolver?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:22:13 GMT
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Brown, Carlton
<Carlton.Brown@compucredit.com> wrote:
> I researched and found enough information to get up and running with it.
>

>  For anyone interested, you can view the patch I attached at:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-612
>
>  I am sure there are some undocumented attributes but at least you can
>  get started with this.
>
>  One particular question I have is:  Now that there are multiple caches
>  possible in beta-2, will it be possible to assign a particular cache to
>  a CacheResolver?   In my testing, CacheResolver accepts the assignment
>  of a cache attribute, but it does not use it.

CacheResolver has been introduced quite a long time ago and never
documented because it wasn't supposed to be public. I'm still not sure
it's a good idea to use it... IMO, Ivy caching mechanism should be
strong enough to avoid the requirement for a cache resolver, at least
at resolve time. With the addition of dynamic revisions caching in
beta 2, now Ivy cache has all information necessary to be able to
perform a resolve from the cache, without actually requiring to use
the cache resolver. This may require some improvement, like accepting
to use dynamic revision resolution cached data even when they have
exceeded their TTL. This could be a special resolve mode or refresh
mode. With this improvement, the last thing for which the cache
resolver would still be useful is publishing. But even in this case,
I'd prefer using a local repository with useOrigin="true": the
behavior is sligthly different, but I think this should address all
the needs covered by cache resolver which only has its root in bad
caching support and is a design flaw. What do you think? Do you see a
use case where CacheResolver is really necessary?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/