ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Oster" <os...@bmi.osu.edu>
Subject RE: Beta 2: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:59:55 GMT
This is likely caused from an Ant bug; not an Ivy bug.  I had this
problem before, and had to change the way I loaded Ivy with the taskdef.
Do you use subant or ant calls repeated in your build?  Do you use Ant
version < 1.7?  If so, this is likely your problem.  Try running your
build with Ant 1.7 if you aren't using it; this Ant issue was fixed in
1.7.  I couldn't move to 1.7, so I had to change the way I loaded ivy
(or any custom taskdefs).  Basically taskdefs (unintuitively in my
opinion) live across subant calls, so you only need to define it once in
your build (I used to do it at parse time, but moved it to a target I
only call once).

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Buck, Robert [mailto:rbuck@verisign.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:05 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Beta 2: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I just completed the upgrade to IVY 2 Beta 2. Overall I consider the
release an overall success. I like the new flexible cache management
support over all. However, there is one BIG regression...

I use IVY for both resolving third party dependencies from our secure
ivy repository, as well as to manage inter-project dependencies. Since
using Beta 2 I have been having PermGen space issues. I am now up to
reserving 256M of PermSpace. Guys, there is definitely something wrong
here. For comparison, the global SMS messaging gateways that your
SMS/MMS traffic goes through, only has 64M, and that is running JBoss
with all sorts of stuff loaded. I cannot see any reason to require 256M
of PermGen space.

Again, I just want to emphasize that the overall release is fantastic.
Fixing this one issue would go a long way.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space