ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Juha Ranta <juha.ra...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: Continuous integration and deciding whether to build
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:20:49 GMT

I know pretty well what I'd like to do: check if there are any changes
in CVS or in the resolved dependencies since the last build, and if
there are, trigger a new build. However, there are kind of chicken and
egg problems because, for instance, to see if there are changes in the
dependencies, I need to do a resolve, and typically that resolve is
done during the Ant build task. It seems that to get this to work the
way I want, I'd need to insert the checking part inside the project's
Ant build, which complicates the build script, or else do one resolve
outside the Ant build and then another during the actual build.

I could also do it so that when a project finally does its Ivy
publish, it generates a buildlist from the leaf to the root and then
evokes the build scripts of those projects that depend on it, but this
leaf build never gets triggered if there is no other process polling
CVS..

I'll have to think about this more later, but not right now, since
it's Friday! Thanks to all for all of the help.