ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject multi-platform caches
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:26:20 GMT
I am setting up automated builds with QuickBuild and ivy underneath.  QuickBuild is great at
spawning platform specific builds to other QB servers.  However, my question is about the
ivy cache.  In order for each platform build to succeed, they need to get dependencies.  This,
of course, causes a resolve and retrieve.  It is the resolve that I am worried about.  It
is theoretically possible that each platform's resolve call could result in different dependencies
if a module is being published simultaneously.  Therefore, my different platforms are NOT
guaranteed to be building against the same set of dependencies.

QB makes it easy to transfer one QB server build's artifacts to another QB server build as
input.  Therefore, I could do one resolve/retrieve on the master build server and then deliver
those dependencies to the other platforms.  However, that doesn't deliver the cache directory
too.  Therefore, on the other platforms, they would have the dependencies, but not the resolution
metadata in the cache.  This will cause any post-resolve ivy ant task to fail.  Any suggestions?

Technically, I don't have to make any post-resolve ivy ant task calls on the individual platforms
so I guess delivering the dependencies from the master server will be sufficient, but any
comments or suggestions might still help for the future.

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.