ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject philosophical question
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:26:15 GMT
I am trying to defend the use of IVY in my company and some CM team members are suggesting
we use an SCM system to manage our dependencies.  They feel that IVY is trying to reinvent
the wheel by acting like a versioned filesystem.  They say why not just check in all builds
into an SCM like Clearcase.  Then the dependencies that you pick up can be controlled by the
Clearcase config spec or view in other SCM tools.  You can label/tag the versions to handle
build promotion status and other scenarios.  Another advantage is that you only have to check
in what has changed.  With IVY, each new published module could contain nothing new versus
the previous version but still takes up the same amount of space.  With an SCM tool that checks
for actual differences before committing, would only check in the changed files.  The labels/tags
would then be placed on some new file versions that did change and some old file versions
that didn't change.

Can people help me persuade my fellow CM team members why IVY is better?  They make a good
case with their arguments.  Is there some showstopper scenario that an SCM tool can't handle
that IVY can?

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.