ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: transitive dependency override
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:18:45 GMT
I am using ivy settings files heavily to completely configure the behavior of ivy by just switching
out different settings files.  Therefore, if I run into something that I can't fix or configure
via a settings file, it hurts my plan to rely on settings files only.  Past posts about this
subject suggest a workaround that involves editing ivy.xml files to make indirect (transitive)
dependencie direct but, again, I want to be able to fix this issue via the settings file.
 I would like the flexibility to override the default behavior of ivy's dependency mechanism
and explicitly specify the revision of the dependency of a given module to use in the module
override tag of the settings files.  For example, let's say I have A which depends on B latest.integration,
and B which depends on C latest.integration.  Let's say I have 1 revision of C in the repository,
rev 1.  Let's say I have 1 rev of B in the repository, rev 1, that was built against rev 1
of C.  Now I build and publish a new C, rev 2.  Now I want to build A but use rev 2 of C without
having to build a new B.  So it would be nice if I could use the module tag in the settings
file to specify that module C should use rev 2 no matter what when dependencies are being
resolved.  I can see that the module tag already has a revision attribute, but that apparently
is used for matching the rule and not used AS a rule.  Can you add a new attribute, like overrideRevision,
to the module tag such that anytime a dependency is resolved that matches the module tag,
the overrideRevision is used?

---
Shawn Castrianni
CM Chief Architect
Landmark
Halliburton Drilling, Evaluation and Digital Solutions Building 2
2101 City West Blvd.
Houston, TX  77042
Work:  713-839-3086
Cell:  832-654-0888