ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <>
Subject published module storage
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:49:29 GMT
We have a debate going on about where to store our published modules.  Some say it should be
on a filesystem so that we can delete older builds to reclaim disk space since we should always
be able to repeat a build from the past if needed.  Some say they all should be checked into
an SCM repository so that we can easily get old dependencies when repeating a build and since
some SCM repos like subversion stores binaries as diff, saving disk space.

At first I was in favor of option 1, but I am starting to lean towards option 2.  If I want
to repeat a build from 2 years ago, I don't want to have to repeat all of its dependent builds
as well since those would most likely be deleted from the file server.  With everything checked
into an SCM tool, I can always retrieve any past dependent build to be used a dependency to
repeat an old build.  However, how would I configure ivy to get dependencies from an SCM repo?
 I don't want to have to implement my own resolver.   What do other people do to be able to
support rebuilding something from the past with dependencies?

Shawn Castrianni
CM Lead Architect
Halliburton Drilling, Evaluation and Digital Solutions Building 2
2101 City West Blvd.
Houston, TX  77042
Work:  713-839-3086
Cell:  832-654-0888