ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: filesystem resolver concurrency issues?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:41:50 GMT
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Gilles Scokart <gscokart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that even if the publish is atomic, the resolution itself is not.  If
> someone publish a bunch of module while you are resolving using some
> x.latest, I'm not sure you will get a consistant result anyway.

What the atomic publish ensures is that you won't ever get a resolution
process seeing a module revision while it isn't fully available yet.
Moreover, since Ivy caches each dynamic revision resolution during a single
resolve process, you are ensured that during a single resolve,
latest.integration will be resolved with only one value. What can be
inconsistent is if you use several dynamic revisions, for instance
latest.integration and 1.+ with a repository where the latest is 1.1, if the
resolve process resolves latest.integration as being 1.1, then 1.2 is
published, then Ivy resolves 1.+ as 1.2, you have some kind of
inconsistency. I think this is the only kind of inconsistency you can get
when you use only atomic publish concurrently with resolve processes.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/