ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: specify versions separate from dependencies
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:27:51 GMT
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Harald Braumann <harry@unheit.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:56:44 +0100
> "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Niklas Matthies
> > <ml_ivy-user@nmhq.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Also the name "dependencyManagement" is really, really bad. :)
> > > *Everything* in an ivy file is about dependendency management.
> > > At least make it "dependency-override" or something like that.
> > >
> > > [Note: I've never used Maven. Adopting non-descriptive names from
> > > Maven just to make Maven users feel more comfortable with a feature
> > > which (probably) does almost-but-not-exactly the same thing as in
> > > Maven feels like a really bad trade-off to me. ;)]
> >
> > I agree, it's a bad idea. dependency-override sounds like a much
> > better name, if we only put dependency overriding here. Someone
> > suggested to merge the conflicts/manager with this, since both
> > actually tweak the way transitive dependencies are handled. Maybe we
> > could find a better and more explicit syntax which could address both
> > concerns? Suggestions, anyone?
> >
> I, too, agree that dependencyManagement is not the best of all names.
> And also note that I'm looking into ivy because I'm not satisfied with
> maven. So by all means, don't try to copy maven.

Copying the good is not a bad thing :-). And for this I think maven has more
flexibility than we have which can be useful to our users too. But this
discussion is really interesting, I already feel like we'll finally end up
with something clean, powerful and flexible in Ivy to handle this.

Xavier

I just used it as an

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/