ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Sahlbach" <andreas.sahlb...@gmail.com>
Subject ivyde again
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:49:21 GMT
Sorry that I have to raise this issue again, but I have no choice.

The current unofficial Ivyde build does not work with Ivy 2.0 beta 1. I have
to say that Ivy without Ivyde is _absolutely useless_ for me. My build will
work with the new Ivy but a whole team of developers cannot work without a
working Ivyde therefore using Ivy without Ivyde is not possible.

And don't tell me that I don't need to use Ivyde. It's hard enough for me to
give reasons for using Ivy instead of the "standard buildsystem" maven. The
Mavenide and classpath container works flawless. Even if the idea was stolen
from Ivyde, the classpath container for maven works way more fluid than
Ivyde ever did in the past and has even more features than Ivyde now.

GUI sells. That's a fact that everyone knows in this business. So if you
want to "sell" more Ivy installations, then build this darn Ivyde!

I know: "it's open source" and "you can do it yourself" etc. I tried and I
failed. It's probably my missing knowledge about eclipse plugin development
or the lack of any kind of build documentation in Ivyde or the fact that the
bootstrapping build does now work, I dunno. Well the last prolly not, I
think I've fixed that temporarily. I also fixed the 2 lines of code that
prevent Ivyde to work with the 2.0 beta 1 but I can't get eclipse to create
a working Ivyde. Eclipse simply ignores my new Ivyde and I don't know why.

This situation is critical for me and has to change. There are a number of
bugs in the last official build of Ivy and we need to upgrade. If this
situation regarding Ivyde does not change soon, I cannot justify my decision
for Ivy any longer and will have to present an alternative. This would be a
pity because of all the work I've put into the current build system and into
Ivy but again: I have no choice.

So please: Give Ivede more attention. It's way more important than you
think...

--
Andreas Sahlbach