ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:02:02 GMT

Le 9 févr. 08 à 11:32, Matthias Kilian a écrit :

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:46:23AM +1030, Michael Terrington wrote:
>>> I have seen a couple of different options out there for using Ivy to
>>> maintain an Eclipse classpath - IvyDE, eclim, etc.   What is the
>>> most
>>> current and accepted technique for doing this?
>>
>> I use http://trac.sarugo.org/ant-eclipse which generates .project and
>> .classpath for basic Java projects, but doesn't handle plug-in (or
>> other) projects.
>
> The problem with generated .project and .classpath is that you've
> can't put them into your source control system, else you'll get
> tons of bogus commits. This may not be a problem if a single person
> works on a project, but it is a problem for larger teams.

The problem is that each developer doesn't have the same machine
configuration. Just think about Windows vs MacOS vs Linux paths. With
my colleagues we all agree to not share .project and .classpath, but
we share the way we are generating them. So across the developers we
don't have the exact verbatim configuration files, but we all develop
with the same build system (well, in the ideal world, because some
still have funky classpath which generate inevitable periodic endless
discussions :p).

Nicolas