ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: specify versions separate from dependencies
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:47:24 GMT
:
> > How would this be different from a regular dependency with a "force"
> > attribute?
>
> It's different only in concept: I don't like having to add a dependency
> declaration when your module don't actually depend on something. Later you
> can wonder why you have this dependency. That's why we have the conflicts
> section in Ivy files. So I think this kind of dependency version overloading
> deserves a new feature.

Okay, then how about adding an "override-only" attribute to dependency
declarations? Or as a new value of the "transitive" attribute (i.e.
transitive="override-only"). My feeling is that the feature has too
much in common with real dependencies. (It actually *is* a dependency
in the sense of demanding a particuar revision.) Every new feature
added to "dependency" that is also applicable to the revision override
features (like branches and extra attributes) would have to be carried
over, and documented separately. Or else the feature set diverges over
time.

Also the name "dependencyManagement" is really, really bad. :)
*Everything* in an ivy file is about dependendency management.
At least make it "dependency-override" or something like that.

[Note: I've never used Maven. Adopting non-descriptive names from
Maven just to make Maven users feel more comfortable with a feature
which (probably) does almost-but-not-exactly the same thing as in
Maven feels like a really bad trade-off to me. ;)]

-- Niklas Matthies