ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Harald Braumann <ha...@unheit.net>
Subject Rationale of modules
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:06:10 GMT
Hi,

so far I've only used maven which doesn't know modules, only artifacts.
Thus I have a bit of trouble to understand the rationale behind
modules and how to use them. I try to explain with a few examples.

Example 1)

Module B consists of 2 libs: some low level implementation
B-lowlevel.jar and some high level API B-api.jar. Module A, which
depends on B, will always get both artifacts. But what if A only wants
to use B-lowlevel.jar? I could create different configurations for B,
one with B-api.jar and one with B-lowlevel.jar only. But then I would
have to anticipate all possible uses of B at creation time. This is
easy in this case but there might be uncountable combinations in more
complex modules. Somehow to me it feels that B is the wrong place to
specify these possible combinations. What if B is a third party product
and they didn't anticipate the usage without B-api.jar? The other
possibility would be to use includes/excludes in A but that feels like
a hack to me. Also it would pull in all dependencies of B-api.jar,
although I only use B-lowlevel.jar.

Example 2)

Lets say B consists of B-core.jar and a couple of plug-ins
B-plugin1.jar, B-plugin2.jar, ... These are loaded at run-time
dynamically. Now if B-core and all plug-ins are in one module, A, which
depends on B, would always get all plug-ins. But it might only need one
or two. Whats the best way of implementing this? Put each plug-in in
its own module? Use includes in A?

As I see it, modules are a way of grouping dependent artifacts
together, which is a good thing. But they also reduce
flexibility as things, like dependencies, can only be specified for
all the artifact in a module together. Maven OTOH doesn't have any way
of grouping artifacts together, which is equally bad.

The solution I tend to is to put each artifact in its own module and
then create a virtual module to group them together. I would still need
to use include statements to only select some of the artifacts, but at
least I could specify things on a per artifact basis. Of course this
contradicts the whole module concept of ivy, and thus again doesn't
really feel right, when using ivy.

Regards,
harry