ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Harald Braumann <ha...@unheit.net>
Subject Re: specify versions separate from dependencies
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:53:05 GMT
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:27:04 +0100
"Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Harald Braumann <harry@unheit.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible with ivy to specify the versions of dependencies
> > separate from the actual dependency specification? Similar to the
> > <dependencyMangement> section in maven's parent pom?
>
> There is no direct support for this currently in Ivy, what we usually
> suggest is to use properties to specify the revisions, and define
> these properties in a separate file. The result is very similar to
> the dependency management feature.

Fair enough, but like this I can only control direct dependencies.
Maybe I should elaborate a bit more about what I want. Please note
that I'm only familiar with Maven and only recently started to look
into Ivy because I'm not completely satisfied with the former. So I
might get the terminology wrong.

Consider a project that is made up of multiple independent modules.
Then there exists some uber-build, that has all the modules as
dependencies and creates an installation package for the whole project.

Many of the dependencies will be present in multiple modules, either
directly or indirectly and very often with different versions. If I
want to update some dependency, I don't want to go through all my
modules and update there but I want to do it in a central place, for
both direct and indirect dependencies.

The only solution I see so far is to use a separate repository for the
project. But then I'd have to copy the stuff in there manually from
other repositories. Certainly doable, but not as nice as just
specifying the versions in a file or some such. Compare this to the
Debian repository, where you have one pool with all packages and files
that specify the actual versions that go into a release (stable,
unstable, sid, experimental). It's kind of a partitioning of a central
repository.

Please note that this problem also exists for single modules. Lets say
I have to dependencies, that both depend on foo. Now I update one
dependency, the new version of which depends on a new version of foo.
But I don't want to update foo if it's not necessary. Again I would
like to be able to specify the versions in a single place.

I would be quite surprised if others didn't have the same problems
with randomly changing versions of indirect dependencies.

Regards,
harry