ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From <Paul.Mac...@nokia.com>
Subject Using Ivy with very large input content
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:47:51 GMT
Hello,

This is a question about scalability and also how well Ivy is suited to
non-Java projects. We use Ant for large builds involving Gbs of data.
I'm interested in how Ivy could be applied. Typically a build will have
a number of inputs which include unzipping several Gbs of zips and also
copying several more Gb of source files. While Ant is very useful for
managing the build process, trials found that it does not currently
scale to large copies and unzips, so we have some other custom scripting
to handle the preparation.

I could imagine using Ivy to define the dependencies between the needed
inputs.

Would this make sense? Has Ivy been used for non-Java builds much?

The notion of the cache may not make sense for some of these large
inputs. Is it enough to use the useOrigin attribute?

How does Ivy handle the copying of data around, and is this pluggable?
Ideal option would be that the operations to copy stuff could be
customised to use the fastest copy operations on the platform (Win,
Linux), which is kinda what we do now. Or maybe even an output file that
simply listed the required copys after Ivy

All suggestions and input much appreciated!

thanks

paul