ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: handling multiple modules with different release schedules
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:44:22 GMT
Yes, you misunderstood.  The A1 release wasn't meant to mean A release 1 in terms of an ivy
release/build number but like a company's product release to the public.  I just used A1 as
a make believe name like Microsoft's Chicago or Longhorn release name.

Let's try this.  Let's say Microsoft uses ivy for its Office, Windows, IE, and .NET sotware
product releases.  Let's say that these products are broken up into modules in which some
are shared amongst each other.  So a GDI module might be used by Windows and IE.  A CRT module
might be used by .NET and Office.  And maybe an XML might be used by all software products.
 Let's say that Microsoft will have 4 releases to the public this year, one each quarter.
 The first quarter release will have Windows and IE in it.  The second quarter release will
have Office, .NET, and IE.  Etc...

With such a large coporation with so many modules each on its own release schedule, where
any given module is a member of multiple releases releasing at different times, what is a
good way to organize ivy artifacts and repositories?  Should you have a different repository
for each public release such that all modules involved in that release are in that repository
and are compatible with each other?

I realize that this is a big question, but I guess I am curious if anyone out there has used
ivy in a large corporation with all of this complication and how they leveraged ivy's features
to keep everybody's dependencies straight?

---
Shawn Castrianni