ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <>
Subject transitive dependency override
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 07:35:45 GMT
Let's consider the situation of C depends on B which depends on A.  In other words, ivy module
C has a direct dependency on B and an indirect or transitive dependency on A.  My current
build system which does NOT use ivy will always get the latest revision of all dependencies
whether direct or indirect(transitive).  Obviously, this is bad since if A has recently been
built and is newer than B, getting the latest of both A and B will result in an incompatibility
since B was never built with this latest A and may not work.  I have always wanted my current
build system to get the latest revision of the direct dependencies and the corresponding compatible
revisions of its indirect(transitive) dependencies.  This is the first thing I tested with
Ivy and it works exactly the way I hoped by default out of the box.  My question is can this
be overriden on a developer's machine such that all latest revisions of all dependencies are
retrieved?  Ignore the fact that this may be a bad idea in general, but I would like the flexibility
just in case I need it.

The developer could modify his copy of the ivy.xml file, but that only allows him to control
the revision for the direct dependencies because that is all that is listed in that ivy.xml
file.  Would he have to add in indirect(transitive) dependencies into his ivy.xml as direct
dependencies to give him the ability to specify latest.integration?  This would result in
a conflict resolution which, by default, would take the latest revision?  Seems like it might
work, but is this the best way to do this?

Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.