ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <>
Subject Re: New repo
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:34:21 GMT
On Jan 4, 2008 11:07 AM, Bourzeix, Hervé <> wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to change my current repository. I am currently using FTP. I would
> like to know which protocol would you advice for my new repository?(I want
> to be able to Publish too).

It depends on your infrastructure. If you can use a good network attached
filesystem, it's often the best solution. I've heard people happy with
webdav, but the current support in Ivy using commons-vfs is not the most
stable (due to commons-vfs lack of release of their webdav implementation,
probably related to slide being discontinued). ssh based protocol are
usually pretty easy to setup and have the advantage of being secure, but the
performance overhead may be an issue if you don't need security. You may
also choose to use one protocol for reading (http for example) and another
one for writing (ssh for instance). For reading http is pretty good (at
least if your web server is good enough), the only problem is with directory
listing which can be very slow when you have a lot of files/directories
(happens if you have a lot of revisions or modules). Another alternative is
to create your own resolver. I'm currently reading the very good "RESTful
web services" book, and I'm wondering how easy it would be to write a
restlet based resolver (would require a restlet based server install too).