ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unwanted remote lookup of (cached) module descriptor
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:23:10 GMT
On Jan 5, 2008 12:03 AM, hdockter <mail@dockter.biz> wrote:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> I've just discovered that my problem is not completely fixed. It is fixed
> for all of my dependencies except one. The dependecy where Ivy is still
> doing a remote lookup is for logback. It looks like it has something to do
> with the way the logback pom is using Maven's inheritance.
>
> The main problem with this remote lookups is not the 1s it usually takes.
> The main problem is that the build stalls if the repository is not
> responsive. For ibiblio this is pretty often the case.
>
> I've attached a file with the debug output.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p14626841/ivyout.txt ivyout.txt
>
> My ivy.xml just says: <dependency org="ch.qos.logback"
> name="logback-classic" rev="0.9.8" conf="compile"/>

OK, I think I see the problem. In your log you have:
problem while parsing cached ivy file for:
ch.qos.logback#logback-classic;0.9.8:
[xml parsing:
file:/Users/hans/.ivy2/cache/ch.qos.logback/logback-classic/ivy-0.9.8.xml:30:83:
cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'classifier' is not allowed to appear in
element 'artifact'. in
file:/Users/hans/.ivy2/cache/ch.qos.logback/logback-classic/ivy-0.9.8.xml

This is because Ivy stores in cache only ivy files, in case of logback it's
a pom converted to an Ivy file. But to convert this pom Ivy uses a non
standard attribute (an extra attribute), which when it's later parsed by Ivy
with validate="true" (the default) is causing the file parsing to fail, and
thus Ivy discard the cached ivy file and access the remote repository again.

So you can open an issue pointing to this discussion. As a temporary
workaround, you can disable Ivy validation. For the fix I see several
possible solutions: disable validation when loading files from cache (they
have already validated when downloaded anyway), or make the classifier a
standard attribute, or use xml namespaces for extra attributes so that we
can still validate Ivy files even when we use extra attributes (would be the
best solution IMO since it would be useful for everybody using extra
attributes).

Xavier