ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to ignore missing metadata?
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:17:41 GMT
On Jan 1, 2008 7:12 PM, limbicsystem <limbicsystem@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I was confused about what was happening.  My <ivy:retrieve/> call
> was
> failing because I had not previously called <ivy:resolve/>.  I see now
> that
> resolve creates report XML files in the cache, which can then be used by
> subsequent calls to retrieve.  Sorry for the newbie confusion.
>
> So my question now is: what is the best way to force an initial resolve if
> needed, without adding an explicit dependency retrieve -> resolve?
>  Resolve
> can be quite slow (I guess it is verifying remote artifacts' metadata?),
> so
> I think it should only be run when the dependencies list has changed.  I
> supposed I could codify this manually in ant by comparing the timestamps
> of
> ivy.xml vs the report files, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it.

If you are using only static versions (no latest.xx or the like) then
resolve should be very fast once everything is provisioned in cache. If you
use dynamic revisions, you can have changes in your dependencies even if you
have no change in your ivy file, so comparing timestamps is not enough. ATM
Ivy is always checking the remote repositories when you use dynamic
revisions, but this may be improved before 2.0 final, by configuring some
kind of TTL once a dynamic revision is resolved (for instance to check for
new versions only once a day or something like that).

Xavier