ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "John Gill" <llign...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IVYDE - what are the alternatives?
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:39:32 GMT
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. ivyDE is what makes ivy a
killer tool IMHO. Yet ivyDE is treated as a second class citizen when it
comes to releases, bug fixes, etc.

The fact that the projects are separate is part of the problem (and the size
of the development team doesn't help I guess) in my view.

Personally, I have stuck with ivy 1.4.1 and ivyDE 1.2.0 because I can't put
up with the problems with ivyDE that goes with ivy 2.x. I have attempted to
migrate to ivy/ivyDE 2.0 several times now and it is just to problematic, so
I figure "if it works, don't fix it" and stay with ivy 1.4.1 and ivyDE 1.2.0
.

Here is a dig at the maven users (and I expect to get flamed on this one big
time, so bring it on... :-), but maybe if it wasn't for all these issue
about maven repositories, and pom.xml problems, ivyDE could be given more
time. The answer is simple... Build your own repository and stop using maven
poms, repositories, etc and use ivy, OR use maven and don't use ivy. To me
it seems like maven integration is given more time and energy than other
issues, which for people who want to use plain old ivy is really
disappointing. Frankly, I'd like to see a "ivy-maven" pseudo component in
JIRA to track all the maven related issue separately.

I am now going to press the send button, and I just know I am going to
regret writing the previous paragraph, but what the hell...

--
Regards,
John Gill