ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Hans Dockter <m...@dockter.biz>
Subject Re: Filtering optional dependencies of a pom module
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:04:02 GMT
Hi Xavier,

On Jan 15, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 5:39 PM, Hans Dockter <mail@dockter.biz> wrote:

>>> How is this different from the use of the include element when
>>> declaring the
>>> dependency?
>>>
>>> Xavier
>>
>> I think there has been a misunderstanding on my side regarding the
>> include element. I have missed the fact that In contrast to the
>> exclude element, include does not apply to the dependencies of a
>> dependency, but only to published artifacts of the dependency, right?
>
> Right.
>

>> What I have in mind is an include for (first level) dependencies of a
>> dependency. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I'm just looking for
>> a good solution for the use case described above.
>
> What could be done is make the include mechanism work for transitive
> dependencies, as the exclude mechanism does (but it used to work as
> include,
> only on artifacts from the direct dependency).  But limiting this
> to first
> level dependencies is even another feature, I see the use case, but
> it makes
> things even more complex to handle and understand. When metadata
> need so
> much tweaking, I guess you should better rewrite the metadata, or
> define a
> new virtual module with fixed metadata.

I see your point. And for any enterprise environment what you propose
is definitely the way to go.

Yet I think almost any project, even simple ones, should have
dependency management. For the developers of those simple projects,
creating there own repository might seem pretty heavy weight. For
those simple projects, sharp tools to manipulate the metadata on the
client side would be often quite handy. And wouldn't it be funny, if
Ivy were much more capable to deal with Maven metadata, than Maven
itself :)

- Hans