ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From osbald <rosbaldes...@hotmail.com>
Subject New user questions
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:54:41 GMT

Hi I'm new to Ivy and I'm trying to retrofit Ivy onto an pre-existing
multi-module project. I've started with the multi-modules example and I've
got it mostly working at the module level. Although there's a couple of
points causing me to wonder.

First is I'm publishing to a shared repository directory much like the
example. But I've noticed when I publish the jar produced doesn't seem to
get into the ivy cache. Or at least when I compile a dependant module the
jar the resolve retrieves is an older copy from the cache not the one most
recently built and in my shared repository? Currently I've bee wiping my
.ivy2/cache directory on every build which obviously isn't right. What I
suspect may be wrong is our modules don't have any versions - so I hardcoded
the publish tasks pubversion to be "snapshot" what should I be doing here?

Next question is on these modules transitive dependencies(?). What I mean is
our pre-existing project keeps its module dependencies in a lib directory
underneath each module/project dir (alongside src). Pretty standard stuff
and I was wondering how to bridge using Ivy in this environment and wheter
it is worth it? What I thought I could do was define a resolver to pickup
any jars the local module needs. Although the naming convention may give me
some headaches. Of course I could get Ivy to resolve all 3rd party jars from
online public repository, although several of these jars I'm using either
aren't in maven at all - or an older version. Plus it's more amenable to our
IDE having the jars available on checkout without having to call a "ant
resolve-all" target before opening the project. Does this approach make
sense, is it possible to use an ad-hoc approach. I'm aware that without IDE
support (IDEA in this case) maintaining the modules Ivy.xml with the
contents of it's lib directories may prove to be a pain. This is where my
build currently fails trying to resolve module jars - because the
multi-project dosn't have locally sourced jars/dependencies and doesn't have
an IvySettings.xml to define resolvers. Don't suppose there's any examples
of this kind of configuration anywhere?

- Richard