ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Xavier Hanin <Xavier.Ha...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:19:56 GMT
Sharing settings through a shared filesystem or url is fine, but I suggest versionning your
settings for the sake of build reproducibility. You may have to make changes to your settings
in the future, so going back is always something that can be needed.

For versionning you can either use your SCM and make the co / update of settings part of your
build, or use urls with a version somewhere in your url, or even use Ivy itself to resolve
your dependency on your settings, but then you hit the chicken and egg problem :-)

Xavier

-----Original Message-----
From: Niklas Matthies [mailto:ml_ivy-user@nmhq.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:51 AM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Sharing ivyconf.xml

Hello,

In a multi-project enterprise setting, what is the best way to share a
common ivyconf.xml between projects? We're thinking of placing the
ivyconf.xml somewhere in a shared file system, and have each project's
build file reference that location (file path or URL). Does anyone
have experience with this? Is it the usual way to handle things?

It seems (luckily) that there's no need to have versioning of the
ivyconf.xml, in the sense that different versions of a project would
require different versions of ivyconf.xml (which would introduce
dependency issues on ivyconf.xml...). Is that correct, or are there
issues we might be overlooking?

Thanks,

-- Niklas Matthies