ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:07:17 GMT
On Tue 2007-12-11 at 09:06h, John Gill wrote on ivy-user:
> That's why we are dependent on a particular version of the
> ivyconf.xml. That way the choice of conflict manager can't change
> when you try and reproduce the build.

True, it can't change for a particular build, but it could change
between the build and a build of a depending module. Example:

   A ------> C1 -> D
   A -> B -> C2 -> D
        B -> C3 -> D

If builds of A uses a different retrieval or conflict resolution
policy for D than builds of B, then B could break (or misbehave in
subtle ways). Having B depend on a particular ivyconf.xml doesn't
translate to A, which could apply a whole different D than B assumes.

More generally, a published ivy.xml still assumes particular settings
from an ivyconf.xml. These settings must in general be the same
between building some module B and later having its published ivy.xml
being used for building some other module A. So one might want to have
module A have a dependency on the correct Ivy settings for this, but
that (I think) breaks down once the settings change between versions
of module B, several of which might (transitively or intransitively)
be relevant in the resolution/retrieval process for building a version
of module A.

-- Niklas Matthies