ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:34:18 GMT
On Mon 2007-12-10 at 22:58h, John Gill wrote on ivy-user:
> We don't use dynamic dependencies either, on the grounds that it isn't
> deterministic.

Even without dynamic dependencies, things like the choice of conflict
manager can influence the resolution result for diamond dependencies.

:
> Ah.... Now I see what you mean... If A was build with ivy settings 1.1 and B
> was built with ivy setting 2.3... and B depends on A. It actually doesn't
> matter as each is built in their own right and the resolution will be
> deterministic, because the ivysettings.xml tells you what it does.

Hmm... When you build B, where does the version of module A come from
in the repository you build B against?
And is that the version of A you distribute/package with B, or is it
an independently built version of A?

:
> I think the thing to remember is that the tool we use provides a higher
> level meta data that is then injected into the ivy.xml files. If you are
> really interested in exactly how we do it, I'll blog it.

Thanks, but currently we don't plan to go for that level of build
reproducability. What's important for us is to be able to relate
builds to source control versions (by building & publishing from
tagged sources), and to have stable (= reproducible) dependency
resolution during test & bugfix cycles.

-- Niklas Matthies