ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:48:25 GMT
On Mon 2007-12-10 at 21:47h, John Gill wrote on ivy-user:
:
> Basically absolutely everything must be under source control, and labeled
> and released with a script to the repository.

I agree (in theory ;)). But that's not really my point. My point is
that you can't (practically, reliably) have Ivy dependencies from
module revisions onto shared Ivy settings. Because the purpose, or
at least one major purpose, of the Ivy settings is to define the
resolution process across available revisions (in particular in the
light of dynamic dependencies and non-strict conflict resolution).

For example, how do you resolve a conflict between revision 1.5 and
revision 2.0 of a module if the latter requires different Ivy settings
for resolution than the former? The question doesn't even make sense.

Changing Ivy settings is out of scope at that level of versioning.
When changing Ivy settings in incompatible ways (i.e. resolution
processes involving earlier module revisions don't work as intended
any more), you need a meta level of versioning, such as the one you
describe with rebuilding repositories from source control. But it
doesn't make much sense to version the basic Ivy settings within the
very repository they are defining policies upon, as this would
confound the meta level with the Ivy level of versioning.

-- Niklas Matthies