ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Problem with Tutorial
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:50:20 GMT
On Wed 2007-12-05 at 11:56h, Jing Xue wrote on ivy-user:
:
> In my Firefox (both Linux and Windows), most pages with example output (or
> any pre-formatted text) seem to be about 1024px wide, i.e., a browser
> window smaller than that will start having the horizontal scroll bar
> shown.

One of the more extreme examples is
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/tutorial/build-repository/advanced2.html

> That's not terribly hard to read for me.

It's not "hard", but simply inconvenient for the eyes to have to
"jump" a long distance from the end of a line to the beginning of the
next. Newspapers and magazines use a column layout for a reason. Also
books and other print media exceeding a certain page width.

> On the other hand, forcing the example output or code samples to
> wrap might cause some confusion, especially among those who are
> trying to get started.

Of course the example output and code samples should NOT be wrapped!
Just the regular text, for ease of reading.

-- Niklas Matthies