ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:55:52 GMT
On Wed 2007-12-05 at 08:19h, Xavier wrote on ivy-user:
> Sharing settings through a shared filesystem or url is fine, but I
> suggest versionning your settings

We'll certainly put them into CVS.

> for the sake of build reproducibility.

But this part is confusing me. If for example we change something like
our repository structure (or location), then the attempting to build
an old version of a module using the corresponding old ivyconf.xml
won't succeed.

Our thinking was that by definition ivyconf.xml is outside of module
versioning and needs to be version-independent, since it is used to
resolve and retrieve *any* versions of the modules, not just the
"current" ones. Hence I wrote:

> > It seems (luckily) that there's no need to have versioning of the
> > ivyconf.xml, in the sense that different versions of a project would
> > require different versions of ivyconf.xml (which would introduce
> > dependency issues on ivyconf.xml...).

You appear to be saying that different versions of a project could
indeed require different (historic) versions of ivyconf.xml. I'm
wondering what kind of changes to ivyconf.xml you're thinking of.

-- Niklas Matthies