ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nascif Abousalh-Neto <Nascif.AbousalhN...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Sharing ivyconf.xml
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:00:33 GMT
Not always. If you publish a module with an unresolved configuration, and you have dynamic
dependencies on that configuration, they will be left unresolved (i.e. "rev='latest.integration'")
in the repository.

And why would you ever publish without resolving? We just found an use case: circular dependencies
combined with dynamic revisions. We use both "compile" and "runtime" configurations, and we
found out that some modules introduced circular dependencies using the second one. If we resolved
both, we would end up with the wrong resolved versions, by virtue of dynamic versions and
build ordering - since you can't build the entire cycle in the same pass, the first one would
get an incorrect (old) version.

So we are going to resolve only for compile, then build and publish. Only in a second pass
we will resolve for runtime (when we actually need it, for example to create installers or
testware to test the software).

Now let me get my pain medicine... :-)
/Nascif

-----Original Message-----
From: Jing Xue [mailto:jingxue@digizenstudio.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:42 AM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml

Quoting Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-user@nmhq.net>:

> I agree (in theory ;)). But that's not really my point. My point is
> that you can't (practically, reliably) have Ivy dependencies from
> module revisions onto shared Ivy settings.
> Because the purpose, or
> at least one major purpose, of the Ivy settings is to define the
> resolution process across available revisions (in particular in the
> light of dynamic dependencies and non-strict conflict resolution).

If I understand it correctly, isn't this resolution process only
involved when the module is having its dependencies resolved for the
first time, prior to publish?  Once it's published, the dependencies
are fixed in the published version of ivy.xml, which is anchored by a
versioned repository. So when this module A participates in the
resolution process of another module B, the original ivy settings
under which A was resolved shouldn't matter at all.

...right?  (argh this thing makes my head hurt. :-) )

Cheers.
--
Jing Xue