ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parsing module descriptor VS ivy.resolve()
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:34:08 GMT
On Nov 26, 2007 2:21 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com>
wrote:

> Le lundi 26 novembre 2007, Xavier Hanin a écrit:
> > On Nov 26, 2007 10:49 AM, Nicolas Lalevée
> > <nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I did an ivy plugin for Hudson, so Hudson will be able to trigger the
> > > build
> > > regarding of the dependencies declared in the ivy.xml.
> > >
> > > I did an implementation that does the similar to the ivy:buildlist ant
> > > task.
> > > Then I saw IVYDE-43 [1], which will quite do a similar job. And the
> > > solution
> > > exposed over there is to use a custom resolver.
> > >
> > > With the ModuleDescriptorParser, there are some "resolving", as we can
> > > get the
> > > full dependency graph. Ivy has to search for the ivy.xml the
> > > dependencies.
> > >
> > > I am quite confused by the API, there is simply no javadoc...
> > >
> > > So what should I use ?
> >
> > I think using something similar to how the buildlist works is fine. With
> > the ModuleDescriptorParser there is no resolving, ie no access to a
> > repository, it's only parsing a file to get the metadata. Then you can
> ask
> > if a module is depending on another one based on the metadata, but it
> works
> > only for direct dependencies, not transitive ones. With a custom
> resolver
> > you can be aware whenever a resolution occurs and change the resolution
> > process, which is useful in IVYDE-43 case to replace the dependency on
> the
> > module jar(s) by a project dependency in Eclipse. But for what you do in
> > hudson using the parser is enough and simpler.
>
> ok. Thank you very much for the explanation !
>
> > BTW, I will try to add some javadoc to some classes to help about that
> in
> > the future, could you tell me which classes/methods you looked at which
> > where the most confusing?
>
> For this particular issue, I was looking at ModuleDescriptorParser. But I
> did
> already looked at other parts of ivy. And what was disapointing me is that
> there were no javadoc on the Java interfaces.

Indeed, Ivy code is not a very good example of how things should be done,
especially in the javadoc area. This is entirely my fault, when I started
writing Ivy in 2004 I was in a hurry and Ivy was just an internal tool for
my company... But this bad practice tends to follow the project for a long
time, we all learn with experience! Fortunately we are trying to add javadoc
when we maintain the code so it's slowly getting cleaner and better.

I wrote some javadoc from my
> investigation, but unfortunatly I accidently removed my checkouted svn.

Too sad, did you try restoring it with a disk rescue utility?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/