ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parsing module descriptor VS ivy.resolve()
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:35:29 GMT
On Nov 26, 2007 10:49 AM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did an ivy plugin for Hudson, so Hudson will be able to trigger the
> build
> regarding of the dependencies declared in the ivy.xml.
>
> I did an implementation that does the similar to the ivy:buildlist ant
> task.
> Then I saw IVYDE-43 [1], which will quite do a similar job. And the
> solution
> exposed over there is to use a custom resolver.
>
> With the ModuleDescriptorParser, there are some "resolving", as we can get
> the
> full dependency graph. Ivy has to search for the ivy.xml the dependencies.
>
> I am quite confused by the API, there is simply no javadoc...
>
> So what should I use ?

I think using something similar to how the buildlist works is fine. With the
ModuleDescriptorParser there is no resolving, ie no access to a repository,
it's only parsing a file to get the metadata. Then you can ask if a module
is depending on another one based on the metadata, but it works only for
direct dependencies, not transitive ones. With a custom resolver you can be
aware whenever a resolution occurs and change the resolution process, which
is useful in IVYDE-43 case to replace the dependency on the module jar(s) by
a project dependency in Eclipse. But for what you do in hudson using the
parser is enough and simpler.

BTW, I will try to add some javadoc to some classes to help about that in
the future, could you tell me which classes/methods you looked at which
where the most confusing?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/