ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: retrieving 'profiled' m2 artifacts
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:54:30 GMT
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> I think Steve's asking for the same setting in Ivy. If that's the question,
> the answer is no, we don't have support for profiles so far in Ivy.
>
> IMO a good way to implement this kind of thing would be to implement
> conditionnal configurations and/or conditionnal dependencies.
> Something like:
> <dependency name="..." rev="..." if="myvariable" />
>
> I remember this has already been discussed, but I don't remember if someone
> opened an issue for that. With conditional dependencies/confs, we could map
> each profile to a simple variable (for instance profile.<profile name>) then
> activating the profile would be as simple as:
> ant -Dprofile.<profile name> resolve
>
> Implementing conditional dependencies/confs shouldn't be too hard, we just
> have to ignore them when the condition is not matched. Parsing poms to
> support this shouldn't be too hard either.
>
> If we want to go further, we could deal with jdk enabled profiles (which is
> one of the most common use case behind m2 profiles AFAIK) and set the
> corresponding variables automatically depending on the jdk, to more closely
> mimic m2.

I can see JDK/java version profiles being good, but it gets complex fast.

I'm currently mainly in need of a way of referring to profiled
artifacts, which come out testng-5.7-java14 and testing-5.7-java15

I need a way of selecting one of these
<dependency name="..." rev="..."  profile="java1.5" />

actually choosing which one to use dynamically is feature creep that
doesnt concern me (right now)