ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Parsing module descriptor VS ivy.resolve()
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:21:43 GMT
Le lundi 26 novembre 2007, Xavier Hanin a écrit :
> On Nov 26, 2007 10:49 AM, Nicolas Lalevée
> <nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did an ivy plugin for Hudson, so Hudson will be able to trigger the
> > build
> > regarding of the dependencies declared in the ivy.xml.
> >
> > I did an implementation that does the similar to the ivy:buildlist ant
> > task.
> > Then I saw IVYDE-43 [1], which will quite do a similar job. And the
> > solution
> > exposed over there is to use a custom resolver.
> >
> > With the ModuleDescriptorParser, there are some "resolving", as we can
> > get the
> > full dependency graph. Ivy has to search for the ivy.xml the
> > dependencies.
> >
> > I am quite confused by the API, there is simply no javadoc...
> >
> > So what should I use ?
>
> I think using something similar to how the buildlist works is fine. With
> the ModuleDescriptorParser there is no resolving, ie no access to a
> repository, it's only parsing a file to get the metadata. Then you can ask
> if a module is depending on another one based on the metadata, but it works
> only for direct dependencies, not transitive ones. With a custom resolver
> you can be aware whenever a resolution occurs and change the resolution
> process, which is useful in IVYDE-43 case to replace the dependency on the
> module jar(s) by a project dependency in Eclipse. But for what you do in
> hudson using the parser is enough and simpler.

ok. Thank you very much for the explanation !

> BTW, I will try to add some javadoc to some classes to help about that in
> the future, could you tell me which classes/methods you looked at which
> where the most confusing?

For this particular issue, I was looking at ModuleDescriptorParser. But I did
already looked at other parts of ivy. And what was disapointing me is that
there were no javadoc on the Java interfaces. I wrote some javadoc from my
investigation, but unfortunatly I accidently removed my checkouted svn.

cheers,
Nicolas