ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: IvyDE and Eclipse 3.3
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:02:55 GMT
Le vendredi 23 novembre 2007, Fernandes, Gerard a écrit :
> Several problems with IvyDE in Eclipse Europa (3.2 & 3.3):
>
> - Corrupts .metadata of the project occasionally causing Eclipse to hang
> while starting up. Can only be recovered by deleting .metadata and
> re-importing all projects in the workspace.

I had also some issues. They have been fixed for me with this :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-63

> - Loads duplicate libraries causing Eclipse build to break. Can be
> recovered by loading the Ivy dependency configuration file in the IvyDE
> Editor, making a trivial change and  saving it causing Ivy to
> re-generate the IvyDE container libraries.

From time to time, I have strange behaviour at the startup of eclipse too: an
empty ivy container and the previously resolved dependencies seen
as "external jars". I never succeded in reproducing it. On the other hand a
simple "ivy resolve" always fixed this.

> The IvyDE container is the most elegant solution to integrating Ivy with
> Eclipse - compared to the alternative of generating the Eclipse
> .classpath (using an Ivy report and XSLT for example). It's a shame that
> it's not robust enough to roll out across a team.

Why a shame ? Ivy is an open source project, so its quality depends of the
involvment of its community. For ivyde, it seems very few people get some
interest in contributing to it. So we cannot blame the people maintining it
to be too few.

> Can any improvements to stability be anticipated in the short/medium
> term?

the current trunk works fine for me with eclipse 3.2. I have not tested with
eclipse 3.3. I had so many issues with every plugin I use (svn, veloeclipse,
springide, javacc, wst), that I still work with 3.2.

cheers,
Nicolas