ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Fernandes, Gerard" <gerard.fernan...@lehman.com>
Subject RE: Cache Path and Ant console logging
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:48:50 GMT

Thanks for the post Steve. I can see how this would be good, although I
personally would prefer to break out a common build system that supplied
(via Ivy) a global repository with artefacts and then use Ivy again to
manage dependencies in modules that needed them. That way, the build
system need only be concerned with building it's own artefact(s).

A packaging system could then manage, again via Ivy, the packaging of a
deployable unit along with all it's dependencies.

But of course, that's a different issue. :)

Could you point me to such global datatypes in Ant that can be
inherited?

Thanks again.

Gerard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
Sent: 04 October 2007 15:23
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cache Path and Ant console logging

Fernandes, Gerard wrote:

> Ok, I've tried to debug this a bit and it seems the problem is not Ivy

> - it's the way Ant handles global declarations when calling out to
> external build scripts. This causes the global cache-path tasks to be
> re-invoked each time a call to an externally defined target happens,
> therefore triggering repeated resolutions.
>
> This is not an Ivy issue. It is an Ant build script structure issue.

yes, if you use <antcall> or <subant> then things get triggered
repeatedly.  This can be a good thing if you want sub projects to have
different dependencies. To pass state down , get the data into ant
datatypes that can be inherited.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified
that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot
be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information
is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information is subject
to change without notice.