ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: From Maven+PlugIn reports to Ivy
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:37:46 GMT
On 10/17/07, Gerald Reinhart <gex.dev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Coming from maven build, I'm very newbie in Ivy and I've several general
> questions.
>
>   I 've got a multi modules project managed with maven2, I can generate
> lots
> of useful reports with maven plugins.
>
>   The build with maven becomes to much complicated, so I'm thinking of
> several options  :
>       - build my multi modules projects with ant and ivy because it's more
> flexible
>            => can I directly use my pom.xml or must I transform my pom.xml
> to ivy.xml ?

Yes, you can, but for publication Ivy will publish an ivy file (the pom
transformed). Moreover Ivy is not 100% compatible with maven 2 dependency
management, so you may run into troubles.

           => how can I build a useful site ? keep my pom.xml and generate
> the site with maven report plugin ?

I guess you can do everything in Ant, but it's a lot of work. So using maven
for site generation may be a good idea, but AFAIK some reports require the
build to work in maven (unit test reports for instance) so you will have to
maintain two build systems, really not a good thing IMO.

      - use my pom hierarchical architecture with maven antlib for the build
> and use maven report plugin to generate a complete site.
>            => could be a solution if Ivy do not cover my needs.

If you don't need Ivy flexiblity and need a 100% maven compatibility, I
think it's better  to stick with maven or ant+maven antlib (I've never tried
that though, so I can't really argue). IMO having a strong, reliable and
understandable build system is a must have, and is worth the effort needed
to setup an Ant+Ivy build. But this requires a switch of philosophy...

Xavier

Regards,