ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extremely Slow to Resolve
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:45:02 GMT
On 10/14/07, mguadagna <mguadagna@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello ivy-users,
>
> In our effort to abandon Maven2 as soon as possible, we are trying Ant+Ivy
> which seems to be much more *flexible* with less magic than Maven.
>
> I have downloaded and tried the examples of both jayasoft ivy 1.4 and
> apache-ivy-2.0.0-alpha2-incubating. So far, they both work just fine on
> Windows (with proxy) and Mac OS X (no proxy) and I am pleased with all I
> am
> reading that ivy can do. However, In all cases, it takes an extremely long
> time to resolve the dependencies.
>
> For example, hello-ivy takes 13 minutes to build.  And,
> build-a-ivy-repository (basic) is similar.
>
> Of course, after first build, when the cache is used, the times drop to
> mere
> seconds.
>
> Is this the normal? I can't believe it is.

Indeed, this is not normal.

I am trying to do things as vanilla as possible, following the install, and
> simply running the src/examples as-is (no modification whatsoever, and
> just
> typing 'ant'). And, I've verified my browser can hit the repository sites
> and the speed is fine in the browser.

That's weird. I'd think this is related to the response time from the
server, but if things go well from your browser, I see no reason why it's so
slow with Ivy. What you can still do is try using a mirror instead of
default maven repo. In the multiple resolvers tutorial, for instance, you
can replace the mere ibilio resolver in the settings by one with another
root:
<ibiblio name="ibiblio" root="http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven" />
This is only an example, use the closest mirror from you.

What you can also do is setup your own repository and things should work
much better. And since there are multiple good reasons to have an enterprise
repository (see our best practice page), it's not wasted time anyway :-)

Xavier