ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "James Poli" <James.P...@sas.com>
Subject RE: problem with work files created in cache by ivy:resolve (ivy 1.4)
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:34:17 GMT
Xavier,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I can open an issue.  Question: if I lock the
entire resolve should I also
lock the publish?  In other words can the Ivy resolve task be updating
the module resolution results while an Ivy publish (in another process)
is trying to use them?

Thanks again for any help,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Xavier Hanin [mailto:xavier.hanin@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:20 AM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: problem with work files created in cache by ivy:resolve
(ivy 1.4)

On 10/9/07, JamesPoli <James.Poli@sas.com> wrote:

> As Jim Adams had stated we'd moved our cache to a tmp location to get
> around
> this problem.  Another solution I've been working on is using a lock
file
> protect from having two or more resovles use the  cache at the same
time.
> To "guard" the creation/deletion of the lock file I'm using a Java
> FileLock
> - it acts like a Java object monitor that is visible across JVM's.  It
> appears to work but for multiple processes (15) using resolve.  Could
> there
> be something I'm missing?  Should I also lock the publish?  I'm
thinking
> if
> I lock too many ivy tasks I'll end up defeating the whole purpose I'm
> doing
> it, performance gains by using a single cache.

Indeed, using a lock file can defeat the whole purpose of using a single
cache. The main problem is that we handle two different things in the
cache:
cache of downloaded data (ivy files and artifacts), and cache of a
module
resolution results. The former is what is interesting to share and less
problem to lock, the latter is not really interesting to share and more
problem to lock. Once again we see that the cache management in Ivy
needs
improvement, it's one other vote for IVY-399. But this could even
deserve a
new issue: make Ivy able to use a repository cache shared by multiple
processes. Could you create such an issue?

Xavier

Thanks in advance, Jim :super: