ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Foreman, Alex \(IT\)" <Alexander.Fore...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: Resolving Dependencies not to patch level
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:08:06 GMT
We are currently using useOrigin=true so nothing is downloaded to cache
so we will pick up the version through the symlink each time.  If this
is a problem we will automatically clean the cache each time before
building, this is not a problem for me.

If people use 1.0 the symlink and it points to 1.0.0 the folder and
1.0.1 gets released.  We move the symlink over.  Everyone automatically
upgrades to 1.0.1.  If there is a problem with 1.0.1 and it breaks
peoples code then we can roll the symlink back to 1.0.0 and everything
works again.

If people want to point to a certain version and not have things
upgraded for them then they can point to the fully qualified 1.0.0 and
decide when they want to upgrade to 1.0.1.

I need people to be able to chose between having an exact version
dependency or a 'meta' version dependency which can change.

3rd party libaries will always be tagged at exact level.

Any ideas?
Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gill [mailto:llignhoj@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 September 2007 10:26
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Resolving Dependencies not to patch level

Even if the symlink idea did ignore the version, the next problem would
be that once you have resolved that version to your cache, if you move
the symlink, ivy probably wont pick what it now points to and will use
the old revision in the cache.

If you want revision 1.0, then why use ranges at all? Just have the ivy
file of the project that wants revision 1.0 say it wants revision 1.0.

Actually, I am not sure what the philosophy of this whole revision range
thing is, because doesn't it mean that your builds are not reproducible
if you don't explicitly state what revision you build against.

For example, lets say we have ProjectX, and we label/tag our code in
SVN/ClearCase/CVS, etc (we all do that right?) to mark release 1.0 of
ProjectX. In the tagged 1.0 ivy.xml for ProductX it has a revision range
for log4j, and then 6 months down the track, we need to rebuild this
version (to fix some bug), and now there are 5 new log4j revisions that
fall into the range. If we build from our tagged ivy.xml file, it could
well end up rebuilding against a completely different log4j library that
it was originally built against. Isn't that bad?

It seems to me that using version ranges leads to unreproducible builds
(from your tagged source code in the SCM repository), and in order to
use then you must sacrifice that reproducibility.

--
Regards,
John Gill