ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publish Event Trigger?
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:54:23 GMT
On 9/24/07, Mark_Melvin@amis.com <Mark_Melvin@amis.com> wrote:

> "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote on 09/24/2007 12:22:12 PM:
>
> > On 9/24/07, Mark_Melvin@amis.com <Mark_Melvin@amis.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am looking at the documentation on triggers and I have also browsed
> the
> > > source and it appears to my new-to-Ivy eyes that there is no way to
> hook
> > > up a trigger to the delivery or publishing of an artifact.  Is this,
> in
> > > fact, the case?  What I am trying to do is trigger a rebuild of any
> > > modules that depend on a given artifact, whenever a new version of
> that
> > > artifact has been published.
> >

> > Indeed, there is no such trigger, but to publish a module you need to
> call
> > explicitly the publish action, so you can pretty easily call something
> else
> > after the publish. If you are thinking about something like a repository
> > event, Ivy is a client side tool, and thus do not provide repository
> events.
> > BTW, to get all modules depending on one module, you can use the build
> list
> > task with the leaf attribute.
> >

> Yes - I was thinking about this over lunch and came to this realization.
> It is more something I can just call/broadcast as part of my build script.
> Although, it isn't such a far-fetched idea is it?  It can still be a
> client thing couldn't it as ultimately it is Ivy that is still doing the
> publishing.  It would be a lot simpler to hook up a generic trigger to all
> "post-publish" events than it would be to call it after every publish from
> every build script.

You can still define your own publish task using ant macrodef for example,
then call this one, and you'll be sure your post publish stuff is always
called as long as you use this task. It doesn't work when you use Ivy from
the command line though, nor with the API. So if you really consider we
should add a post publish event for the triggers, feel free to add a JIRA
issue.

Xavier

Thanks for the reminder on ivy:buildlist as well.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/