ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "John Gill" <llign...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Central version numbering.
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:18:16 GMT
Developers are lazy, but the other part of the problem I have is that the
properties that I need to load from our legacy build system are not in a
properties file. They are in another ant file which is imported from the
main build file with properties in it like this:
<project>
    <property name="packageA" value="1.2.3"/>
    <property name="packageB" value="4.5.6"/>
</project>

So even if I wanted to do as you suggest (which is a good suggestion), I
would have the turn my ant file (which only has properties in it) into a
real properties file. So in the end I would be no better off as I would
still need an ant script for that :-)

> You're right, you need one settings file for each Project. But those
> settings files are very simple and do not require any maintenance: they
> only
> import one property file and one settings file. Using ant substitution as
> you do is fine, but the developer has to remember to run the ant
> substitution tasks each time they change a property or the ivy file... and
> developers are lazy :-)
>
> Xavier
>
> On 9/21/07, John Gill <llignhoj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The only problem I have had with that idea, is if your properties are
> > different for each build, then you need lots of different ivy setting
> > files
> > just for ivyDE (or am I missing something).
> >
> > On 9/21/07, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > add
> ivysettings.xml
> in
> > the

> replaced
> > in
> > >

> > > It's usually because you define properties in Ant and not in Ivy
> > settings.
> > > Are you sure the properties file is loaded in your ivy settings? If
> you
> > > prefer to load them in Ant for your Ant build, then you can use a
> > settings
> > > file only for IvyDE which just import your main settings (those you
> use
> > in
> > > Ant) and load the properties file you want.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Xavier

Use of

--