ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "John Gill" <llign...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resolving Dependencies not to patch level
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:25:46 GMT
Even if the symlink idea did ignore the version, the next problem would be
that once you have resolved that version to your cache, if you move the
symlink, ivy probably wont pick what it now points to and will use the old
revision in the cache.

If you want revision 1.0, then why use ranges at all? Just have the ivy file
of the project that wants revision 1.0 say it wants revision 1.0.

Actually, I am not sure what the philosophy of this whole revision range
thing is, because doesn't it mean that your builds are not reproducible if
you don't explicitly state what revision you build against.

For example, lets say we have ProjectX, and we label/tag our code in
SVN/ClearCase/CVS, etc (we all do that right?) to mark release 1.0 of
ProjectX. In the tagged 1.0 ivy.xml for ProductX it has a revision range for
log4j, and then 6 months down the track, we need to rebuild this version (to
fix some bug), and now there are 5 new log4j revisions that fall into the
range. If we build from our tagged ivy.xml file, it could well end up
rebuilding against a completely different log4j library that it was
originally built against. Isn't that bad?

It seems to me that using version ranges leads to unreproducible builds
(from your tagged source code in the SCM repository), and in order to use
then you must sacrifice that reproducibility.

--
Regards,
John Gill