ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jing Xue <>
Subject Re: Resolving Dependencies not to patch level
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:42:57 GMT

Quoting Xavier Hanin <>:
> Yes, but if you don't put your SCM repository in SCM it's difficult to
> ensure build reproducibility. You need to be absolutely sure you won't ever
> modify any module in your repository. Ever. And I've seen too many times
> people modifying a third party module metadata because there were a
> dependency missing. IMO dependency management tools like Ivy are useful to
> determine the set of dependencies a module need, by using transitive
> dependencies resolution and conflict management. But they do not preclude
> the use of a SCM for module repository management.

True.  Perhaps a good compromise would be to maintain separate repos
for ivy files and the module artifacts (i.e. using dual resolvers),
and keep the ivy repo under version control.  Jars don't get changed
so often or shouldn't at all, and I for one am always dreaded by
keeping large binary files in SCM. 8-)

View raw message