ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "John Wu" <john...@callgenie.com>
Subject RE: HOWTO - Resolve dependencies on demand
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:54:46 GMT
I figured out how to make it work, with the help of my colleague. And Gilles's reply also helped.

Scenario: To run task A, B, C, etc, only a common set of jars/zips (the set D) is needed;
to run task X, a large number of jars/zips (the set Y) is needed. In most cases, task A, B,
C, etc will be run. And in very rare cases, task X needs to be performed. We don't want ivy
to resolve (and may retrieve) the jars/zips in set D and Y every time we run the ant task,
due to our internal network latency.

Solution: Two configurations (commons and demanding) are defined in the ivy file, and the
conf attribute of each ivy retrieve tag in the build file is specified.

Attached is the example, based on ivy 1.4.1. I think it may be a good candidate to be added
to the ivy tutorial examples.

John Wu

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilles Scokart [mailto:gscokart@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:34 AM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: HOWTO - Resolve dependencies on demand

Could you explain a little bit more what will be your sets of dependencies.

Ivy proposes two mechanism to only resolve/retrieve dependencies.  You can use configurations,
or type of artefact.

The use of configurations will allow you to manage which modules are included in your resolution.
 The type of artefact will not really change your resolutions, but will only retrieve the
artefact with the right type.

Gilles