ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with ivy:install
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:40:43 GMT
On 8/28/07, Andy Piper <andyp@bea.com> wrote:

> So I have now resolved this. It seems that the "from" repository
> needs to specify _exactly_ which repository the required module is in
> even though chaining seems to be honoured. Is this logical? Surely
> transitive="true" kind of implies that the artifact should be
> installed from wherever it is found?

No, transitive="true" indicates that not only the module but also its
dependencies must be installed (i.e. copied from one repository to another).
If you're looking for a way to publish one module to a repository
(equivalent to maven 2 install goal), use the publish task. This won't copy
the dependencies of the module though, but the dependencies must already be
in a repository. In your case, you could publish your module the
ce-repository, and then install it and its dependencies from ce-repository
to shared, if it's really what you want.

Note that usually you use install only when you want to setup an enterprise
repository that will be accessed by the team(s), and create its content from
another repository (maybe a public one, or a legacy one) that you don't want
the team to access. Otherwise you can use the heterogeneous repositories
directly from Ivy.

HTH,

Xavier

andy