ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Problems with ivy:install
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:59:45 GMT
At 13:38 29/08/2007, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>I think there's a problem of vocabulary. In Ivy terminology, you always
>install from a repository *to* another one. Here you're talking about
>installing from A and B. But to which repository?
>
>1. Without ivy:retrieve, nothing from B gets installed.
>

>If install means copied from one repo to another, this is possible to do
>with the install task. But you need to specify a chain of A and B as source
>and another repo as destination.

This is exactly what I have. A chain of A and B, but still nothing
gets installed from B to my taregt. I am trying to install to shared
(if it matters).

>2. With ivy:retrieve everything gets installed from both A and B (but
> > A is the repo I specified in the install task)
>
>Retrieve is used to copy artifacts to a loca destination (which can later be
>used as a repository, but it's unknown by Ivy at the moment of the retrieve
>call).

? I think this is my point. I understand what ivy:retrieve does, I
don't understand why it has _any affect at all_ on what ivy:install
does. The two are not conceptually related and yet clearly, based on
my experiments, there are side effects of one to the other.

>3. If I specify B as the repo in the install task then the build
> > fails and nothing is installed.
>

>Maybe it's because is lacking information about where to find information
>about your modules, because B is not enough. The install task is very
>similar to an inline resolve using only one repository, followed by a
>publish of bunch of modules. If the resolve with only one repository does
>not work, the install won't work.

So you are saying that it should work, assuming my repositories and
specification are correct?

>For consistency I would expect either:
> >
> > a. For (2) only transitive modules in A to be installed
> >
> > or
> >
> > b. (3) to succeed and the source repo to be ignored when transitive
> > is set to true.
> >
> > But, for the record, I don't want (a), I want (b). (2) is close
> > enough, except that I would expect there to be an implicit retrieve.
>

>I think you're confusing what install and retrieve are meant for. I don't
>say they're obvious, but I think that by combining the resolve, retrieve and
>install tasks you have a pretty flexible set of tools, with which you should

I agree, but what is their relationship? I cannot find any
documentation on how retrieve affects install. I think if I
understood that then all would become clear.

>be able to do what you want. Maybe if you explained what you want to do, we
>could help by explaining which tasks are better suited?

andy