ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Problems with ivy:install
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:25:38 GMT
At 07:40 29/08/2007, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>No, transitive="true" indicates that not only the module but also its
>dependencies must be installed (i.e. copied from one repository to another).
>If you're looking for a way to publish one module to a repository
>(equivalent to maven 2 install goal), use the publish task. This won't copy
>the dependencies of the module though, but the dependencies must already be
>in a repository. In your case, you could publish your module the
>ce-repository, and then install it and its dependencies from ce-repository
>to shared, if it's really what you want.

So I'm still not convinced that what is happening in logical.
I have two repositories A and B. A only contains virtual modules. B
contains the real artifacts I am interested in. I tell ivy to install
modules from A and include transitive dependencies (which are all in
B). I observe the following.

1. Without ivy:retrieve, nothing from B gets installed.
2. With ivy:retrieve everything gets installed from both A and B (but
A is the repo I specified in the install task)
3. If I specify B as the repo in the install task then the build
fails and nothing is installed.

For consistency I would expect either:

a. For (2) only transitive modules in A to be installed

or

b. (3) to succeed and the source repo to be ignored when transitive
is set to true.

But, for the record, I don't want (a), I want (b). (2) is close
enough, except that I would expect there to be an implicit retrieve.

andy