ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Configurations really hard to understand
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:36:53 GMT
Every time I think I have understood configurations my more
sophisticated attempts to use them result in resolution errors in
ivy. I have been through the tutorial and the docs many times. Does
anyone have a good write-up of configuration usage other than the one
on the website?

In particular I am having problems with "default". This is implicitly
defined unless you create your own configurations. If I add my other
configuration how do I specify some of the dependencies to have the
default configuration? "default", "default->default"?

In particular lets say I have module A and module B. Both of these
have some shared dependencies that should be available at build-time
but not test time. My naive configuration would look something like this:

   <configurations>
       <conf name="test"/>
       <conf name="default"/>
    </configurations>
    <dependencies defaultconf="default">
        <dependency org="foo" name="bar" rev="1.0" conf="test->default"/>
        <dependency org="foo" name="baz" rev="1.0"/>
   </dependencies>

But this seems to do something subtly different to what I intend. In
particular the definition of foo.bar seems to require a definition of
the default configuration.

Any help or insights appreciated. Apologies for the somewhat random
stream of consciousness.

[Note I don't think the current configuration syntax is particularly
intuitive, but I'm not sure what I would suggest as an alternative.]

andy