ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Loehr, Ruel" <rlo...@pointserve.com>
Subject RE: Configurations really hard to understand
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:21:05 GMT
I'll second that.  I found it pretty confusing and honestly still am not
100% sure of how it works.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Blattman [mailto:jeffrey.blattman@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:16 PM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Configurations really hard to understand

i've never needed Ivy configurations. i need what maven has, and that's
how i tried to apply it. i always understood configurations to be a
generalized version of maven scopes as you are calling them. in fact i
think i read that someone in the ivy docs.

all i want to do is

1. define a config
2. be able to associate a config w/ a dependency
3. be able to reference the dependencies by config name in ivy:resolve,
retrieve, cachpath, etc

i.e., configs are just a grouping of dependencies.

it just seems like configurations could be greatly simplified to do the
above and still handle 98% of the use cases. you don't need to "->"
syntax do this for example.